Working to eradicate inhuman practice of manual scavenging
Eradication of Manual Scavenging by Thamate, Karnataka
- Education and skill development for children of manual scavengers and sanitation workers so that they can avail alternative livelihoods.
- Advocating for implementation of safe work environment and fair compensation for sanitation workers
- Ensuring proper implementation of 'The Prohibition of Employment as Manual Scavengers and their Rehabilitation Act' in Karnataka
- 128 Youth left sanitation work, 60 youth enrolled in vocational training, 236 children in schools
- Govt. ordered a draft bill to regularize sanitation workers' services and work conditions.
- Govt. formed an independent Safai Karmachari Development Corporation for welfare and rehabilitation of sanitation workers and manual scavengers, with initial allocation of Rs. 250 million
- Minimum wages of sanitation workers were revised across the state by > 100%